Brockville City Hall – 1925
The Brockville Museum is committed to preserving and promoting the history of Brockville through continuing quality exhibits and education programmes. The museum activities are strongly supported by an expanding collection of related artifacts and archival material.
The Brockville Museum grows with, and for the community, providing a source of knowledge on the heritage of Brockville for present and future generations.
Situated in Brockville’s historic downtown core, the Brockville Museum features exhibits and artifacts related to Brockville’s rich Loyalist history and the city’s development as a waterfront community.
Changing thematic displays and special events complement our permanent exhibits.
5 Henry Street, Brockville, Ontario K6V 6M4
This was the palatial home of Senator George T. Fulford Sr. who made millions of dollars from “Pink Pills for Pale People” – a patent medicine he manufactured in Brockville and sold around the world. Fulford recognized the commercial potential of the readership developed by mass-circulation newspapers and built his business on saturation-print advertising.
He constructed Fulford Place, a 20,000-square-foot Edwardian mansion between 1899 and 1901. The original grounds were designed by Frederick Olmsted of the Olmsted landscaping firm, which also designed Central Park in New York City. It is owned and operated by the Ontario Heritage Trust. Restoration of the Fulford gardens was one of the Ontario Heritage Trust’s most exciting heritage garden conservancy projects.
The restoration included the Italianate-style gardens, an elaborate triton fountain, statuary, stone walls and gates. Through generous donations from a number of individuals and organizations, the Trust restored the Italianate Garden, a key component of this nationally significant historic landscape.
287 King Street East, Brockville, Ontario, Canada K6V 1E1
The Historical Society holds their regular meetings in the Brockville Museum at 5 Henry St. in downtown Brockville.
Web Site for the Brockville & District Historical Society: http://www.rootsweb.com/~onbdhs/
In 1990 a small group of four citizens decided to recreate the colour and pageantry of the 1860s, and the Brockville Infantry Company (1862) was formed.
With a passion for detail and authenticity these men researched the history of the company and set out to relive the past.
Exact copies of the bright red British tunics were manufactured by a military tailor in Toronto. Custom leatherwork was handcrafted locally, and working replicas of 1853 Enfield black powder muzzle-loading muskets were imported from the U.S.
Today over twenty re-enactors make up the group. They are composed of local lawyers, teachers, managers and businessmen. They dress in identical British bright red tunics carry and fire fully functional replicas of the original Enfield muskets with bayonets and perform the same precision drill manoeuvres that their counterparts did over 130 years ago.
On this site is a comprehensive listing of participating and deseased military personelle noted on various commemorative plaques in Brockville.
The work involved in collecting and presenting this package on information was carried out by the Director of the Brockville Museum, her staff, and volunteers.
The project was originally suggested by the Organization of Military Museums of Canada.
A collection of genealogical information and resources for the United Counties of Leeds and Grenville, Ontario.
The Brockville History Album is now included on their page of local historical organizations and information at: